Beginner’s Training Class
Happy Hound Beginner’s Training Class
How doggone great would it be if your perfectly adorable puppy or amazing new adoptee could learn basic obedience skills in four fun weekly sessions? We think your pooch deserves top-tier training in an enjoyable environment with a professional trainer and their favorite human—you!
WHO: For Puppies & New Family Members
We’re introducing the Happy Hound Beginner’s Training Class especially for dogs whose parents would like to teach them the fundamentals of obedience and how to socialize with other four-legged friends. It’s an incredible alternative for clients interested in gaining skills outside of our Board & Train program. While we know that all dogs can be stellar students, this course is not intended for canines already proficient in basic commands.
WHAT: Sit/Down, Leash Manners, Come, & Fun Tricks
After a friendly 10 minutes for free playtime and a meet-and-greet opportunity, we’ll talk about the Command of the Day and what to expect from the lesson, including a pet-parent game. Each class will focus on a specific basic skill and end with a homework assignment to practice during the week.
Here’s the Bark-Down:
Puppies Under 4 Months
- Session 1: Puppy 101 We’re talking the foundational concepts here. Naps, potty time, water control, etc. We’ll talk about crate training and structure, potty training, and some good guidelines for redirecting all that puppiness!
- Session 2: Level Up! Alright, your happy hound (and you) have some solid info and have been practicing your foundational skills all week, now it’s time to add on. This week will go over puppy socialization, retrieving, and naps/tucker out time. (Interested in more puppy socialization opportunities? Check out our weekly Puppy Socials »)
- Session 3: Basic Etiquette Just two vital skills this week – sits and downs.
- Session 4: Wrap Up – We’ll work on some recall and name recognition this week, and then for a fantastic finale, we’ll review to everything we’ve learned. When we’re done we’ll even send you home with an official Happy Hound Certificate of Completion.
Puppies & Dogs 4 Months+
- Session 1: Sit/Down – Dogs will learn to hold the sitting position for different lengths of time.
- Session 2: Drag Line/Leash Manners – With a focus on walking, canine companions will practice how to go for a stroll without the pulling or distractions.
- Session 3: Come – Short recalls are key! We’ll run through repetitions of how to get your furry one to return to your side no matter what is catching their attention.
- Session 4: Wrap Up – For a fantastic finale, we’ll return to everything we’ve learned, and you’ll bring home an official Happy Hound Certificate of Completion.
WHEN & WHERE: Happy Hound Play & Daycare or Mandela Parkway
Weekly class sessions will be held, depending on weather, either in the back lot of our joyful red building, outside on Mandela Parkway, or in our indoor Puppy Park room.
WHY: A Well-Behaved, Wonderfully Loved Pup Equals a Happy Hound!
When your dog knows he or she can trust your direction, they are calmer and your connection builds. That makes for a healthy relationship that can only grow as you learn more together.
HOW: Email, Call, or Drop By
Talk to a front desk representative to sign up and pay the non-refundable $400 fee, which covers the entire 4-part course and guarantees quality training time for you and your precious pooch. Your Happy Hound must be up to date on vaccines and in healthy condition for participation.